This story is the first in a series on the Brothertown Indians' quest for federal recognition. This week focuses on the early history of the Brothertown Indians.

The Brothertown Indians, sometimes known as Brotherton, originated in the 1700s from seven Indian villages located in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Long Island, N.Y. and includes the Mohegan, Pequot, Niantic, Narragansett, Montauket, and Tunxis tribes.
The name Brothertown originated from their desire to live together as Christians. The native language of the tribe is the Algonquian language.
After the American Revolutionary War, the Brothertown Indians migrated from New England into New York State where sometime in the 1780s they accepted land from the Iroquois, Oneida Nation.
In the early 1800s, the state of New York began to purchase vast tracts of land. The federal government supported a plan to move all New York Indians which included the Brothertown, Stockbridge and Oneida tribes to unsettled lands in Wisconsin.
The Brothertown Indians signed five land appropriation treaties with the U.S. government, the Menominee and Ho-Chunk tribes of Wisconsin. In 1821 tribal representatives from the Brothertown, Stockbridge and Oneida tribes traveled to Green Bay to negotiate the purchase of 860,000 acres. In 1822, another delegation acquired an additional 6.72 million acres with both transactions solidified by treaties. The land encompassed almost the entire western shore of Lake Michigan. The Brothertown Indians received about 153,000 acres along the southeastern side of the Fox River near present-day Kaukauna and Wrightstown.

(Please see the October 10 issue of the Tri-County News for more on this story.)

Click this link to subscribe to the Tri-County News print edition.